The Federal Centre for Nutrition (BZfE)
Since February 2017, the new German Nutrition Centre (Bundeszentrum für Ernährung, BZfE) is a driving force and a central player in the field of nutrition in Germany. It contributes to a healthy and sustainable lifestyle, with a particular focus on health equality.
Our aim is to lead people of all ages through the various contradictory nutritional messages and promises in a competent way. Its goal is to strengthen self-confidence in dealing with one's own diet and to help people make the best choice. Health and sustainability are values that must be taken into account in future nutritional interventions. The BZfE represents these values in society, politics and industry and contributes to the achievement of national and global sustainable development goals.
The BZfE is a separate department in the Federal Office for Agriculture and Food (BLE) in Bonn (www.ble.de)
- The BZfE provides practical information and guidance for a healthy and enjoyable diet and lifestyle, which are close to the everyday life of the target group(s). All information is based on the most recent scientific knowledge and promote a healthy behaviour among the target group(s).
- The BZfE provides easy-to-understand, food-based nutrition recommendations and guidance as a reference for a healthy food selection.
- The nutritional and lifestyle support covers the entire life span from the beginning (the first 1000 days) to the old age. Such a support affects the private environment (family) as well as settings (school, daycare centre, company). Social, cultural and educational aspects are considered in a sensitive way!
- Today, a healthy lifestyle is not possible without a healthy and at the same time a sustainable food selection and diet. The reduction of feeding disorders and nutrition-related diseases through information, education and media to support advice and therapy are central activities of the BZfE.
- The BZfE covers aspects of behavioural prevention and participates in the process and support of structural/environmental prevention with regard to the food environment (e.g. community catering) and the food supply (labeling, reformulation, food code, etc.).